Wednesday, October 2, 2013

It was a warm summer evening.

And I was taking a walk down main street. The streets were still resonating whatever heat was left from the sun up, and towards the tops of the skyscrapers. I walked past one of my favorite coffee shops. I looked in to see if Jack was working. Jack was always so happy at work. He was almost as happy as the painting inside was. A painting of a couple laughing near a brick wall drinking coffee.  Maybe Jack's a fake. That amount of happiness is either artificial or it is divine intervention.
He wasn't working.
"Damn." I thought. "The day I leave my wallet. Where are ya when I need ya?"
Just a tad of disappointment hit me in the gut, just under the lungs. That feeling vanished when I noticed a purse sitting under the front window though, on a chair near an outdoor table. Naturally, I went through it.
It was pretty much empty. There was a wallet slipped into a side pocket, however.
"Mila Brown", an address and 26 dollars.
Being a chivalrous guy, and loving the name Mila, I searched for where this address was.

The house wasn't too expensive, so I wasn't too intimidated to knock. There was a screen door in front of the actual door. I hate those, you never know where to knock or who's standing on the other side.
BANG BANG BANG I went on the screen.
The door opened, but I couldn't see past.
"Yeah?" a voice emerged from the screen, white paint peeling off of it.
"Hi.. I found a purse at the main street coffee shop, and the driver's license said this person lives here."
The screen door swung open after being unlocked.
"Driver's license? I meant to leave the purse there." The young woman said. Her hair a light brown, pulled back into a pony tail. A thick framed pair of black glasses rested on her perfectly shaped nose. Glasses that stood between you and the eyes that would kill you otherwise. Piercing eyes, ice-blue and dark rimmed.
"It's such an old bag, and I figured someone would like to have it." She said.

Weird.

"There was a wallet inside." I said, while pulling it out of the bag.
"Oh my gosh!" she shrieked as she took the wallet. "...Oh my gosh! Thank you so much!"
Before I could reply, she shot back.
"Do you drink coffee?"
"..uhhmm"
"Let's go back! Right now! I owe you!"

"What do you normally get?" she asked as she peered up at the menu, pushing up her glasses with a finger.
"Ummm. Usually a coffee with a few shots of espresso in it." I replied.
"Gross. I'll get a hot chocolate." she directed towards the barista.

  We sat for a while. We laughed, told stories. Listened and nodded.  Sipped on our piping hot drinks and even got free refills. I imagined, then, that I was with her. For a moment, I was hers. She was mine. And this coffee shop was ours.

"Oh my Gosh, they're here!" she exclaimed as she suddenly stood up and ran towards the door. A pair of strong and tattooed arms caught her in the doorway.
"Sweety, here's the guy who found my wallet." she said excitedly.
"Hey thanks a lot man." The meathead said, stretching his obligated hand out towards me.
I shook his hand and nodded with a smile. After which she picked up her wallet, and coat.. Leaving the purse.
"Thanks again." she said as she kissed me on the cheek.
"You ready?" she asked her beloved.
They walked out in each other's arms. Laughing while they joined their friends who were waiting outside and for a night of pizzazz.

I sat back down at the table, looked up at the painting, and took a sip of my lukewarm coffee.

No comments:

Post a Comment